Monday, 10 May 2021

Mental Clutter

The plan for April was to finish up half finished stuff. I managed to paint . . . a halfling. And I managed to start . . . a whole bunch more stuff.


Still, I was super pleased to get the Fenris Kickstarter preview models all painted up before the Kickstarter ended.

I am definitely getting less finished because of how many half finished things are sitting around. Having a couple of things to switch between does speed me up, but having piles of them slows me down. I guess it's all about getting the right balance.

So, no new models today because I didn't finish anything more over the weekend, despite intending to. Maybe I'll get some sorted by next week.

Saturday, 8 May 2021

Fenris Toadstool Brownies: Troupe Brownie with Fish

I managed to finish up the last of the Fenris Games Toadstool Brownie Kickstarter models I was sent as a preview this morning!

There’s only a few hours left to go on the Kickstarter, so if you want fine upstanding citizens like these adorable menaces on your gaming table, you should go and back it now...

Wednesday, 5 May 2021

Fenris Games Toadstool Brownies: Brownie Militia

I got a second model from the Toadstool Brownie Kickstarter painted up.

As before, I was sent this model free to promote the Kickstarter.

He's a Brownie Militia model, with an heirloom weapon of the village.

If I'd had a little more time, I think I'd have added a bit more contrast and brighter colours to him, but I wanted to get him done before the Kickstarter was over. Please do take a moment to go and check it out and maybe pick something up from it!

Monday, 3 May 2021

Fenris Games: Toadstool Brownies Kobold Smasher

This adorable little miscreant is a Kobold Smasher from the Fenris Games Toadstool Brownies Kickstarter that's currently going on. For full disclosure, I was sent him free as a promotion for me to paint up for the blog, along with two Brownies I haven't finished yet because I am a slacker.

He was a single piece metal model and needed practically no clean up whatsoever. I think he's taken paint really well - I used a mixture of Contrast and traditional paints to get him done. There's only a few days left on the Kickstarter campaign, so if you have the free funds, please do head on over there and back it!

Wednesday, 28 April 2021

Work in Progress Wednesday: Frostgrave Wizards and Apprentices

Here's an assortment of Frostgrave Wizards, Apprentices and Specialists I grabbed during a Bad Squiddo clear out.

Back row, left to right: Soothsayer, Elementalist, Trap Expert, Beastcrafter Apprentice.

Front row, left to right: Soothsayer Apprentice, Elementalist Apprentice, Tunnel Fighter, Beastcrafter

Tuesday, 27 April 2021

Is This Thing On? Running an Infinity Tournament

On Sunday, I ran a small Infinity tournament online using Tabletop Simulator. We just had four players, but that was fine to get a good understanding of how everything works without too much being at stake.

We didn't have too many issues, but getting in three games in a single day online was hard work! I gave people two and a half hours per game, which worked fine. No-one really went over time at all.

I've had a long weekend booked off for a cancelled event which I decided to take anyway. The plan was to get a ton of painting done, but it seems like I mostly ended up sorting things out around the flat. And, you know, running a tournament.

It was surprisingly tiring! I wandered into different games to keep track of what was happening, and it turns out watching Infinity can be as mentally draining as playing... It was good fun, though, and I'll definitely organise some more in future.

Wednesday, 21 April 2021

Work in Progress Wednesday - Stormcast Characters

I recently noticed that the Mortal Realms magazine gives you some really good value on some issues for the Stormcast you can get. As my longer term plans include a Cities of Sigmar force for Age of Sigmar, I decided to pick up one or two and paint them up as I go.

Of course, with Stormcast being such a low model count army, I think that once the other pre-ordered issues I've paid for turn up, I'll have a playable force. Whoops!

For this flying boy, I've decided to do the wings separately because I really didn't fancy painting them on the model.

Look at the size of these! He's going to look fabulous once he's done!

Monday, 19 April 2021

Woah, the Halfling's there . . .

Various bits and bobs are getting assembled as part of operation "stop having half finished stuff cluttering up the hobby space". (It feels like it needs a catchier name, but oh well.) But I'll post those out for Work in Progress Wednesdays rather than the general weekly progress blog...

So, that means that today's progress is this Reaper Bones Halfling, who is apparently called Bergamot.

I realised after I finished him that as well as being a useful character or NPC for D&D games, he'll make an excellent thief in Frostgrave. Double use for miniatures is always good!

Wednesday, 14 April 2021

Work in Progress Wednesday - Gnoll Tracker and Friends

I picked up a bunch of metal Frostgrave gnolls from the Bad Squiddo bargain bin ages back. Then a while back, I got them back from my assembly guy. I've only just started finishing up sorting out the basing mixture so they're ready for painting.

This is a gnoll tracker. Due to his unusual pose I needed to put him on a larger base than usual, but I rather like it. When he's alongside the hyenas, he blends in with them a bit. It's a really nice touch.

And here are some hyenas. One came with the tracker and one came separately. I'll paint them up together so they match.

There's a bunch more gnolls who just need their bases finishing up and I'll have a whole bunch more, but I only had this one finished and ready for photography at time of writing . . .