Thursday 20 July 2017

Spring Showdown III: Malifaux Battle Report: Collodi vs Ironsides


Remember I went to a Malifaux tournament back in May? I barely do! But it seems like I haven't written up the third game I played there due to being completely slack, and this needs remedying forthwith!

I was up against Ironsides, and we were meant to Stake a Claim. We were in a Corner Deployment and the options for schemes were Claim Jump, Eliminate the Leadership, Leave Your Mark, Covert Breakthrough and A Quick Murder.

While I'd never played Ironsides before, I realised that a punching match was going to go badly, so I went with Covert Breakthrough and Claim Jump. The plan was to rocket a few puppets at one corner, work out which way Toni's Patented Ball Of Death (TM) was going, and run away in the other direction as fast as possible.


The beginning slingshot worked excellently, with teeny puppets shooting across the board like creepy little wooden missiles.


Meanwhile, the Emissary snuck around the bottom half of the board, hoping to score a few quick points.


Annoying "Hungry Land" markers were dropped as the Mechanical Rider charged forward.


Metal Gamin were summoned, while I deployed an ablative Changeling and Marionette. If my opponent wasn't careful, the plan was to sneak the Changeling up and "borrow" the Mech Rider's attack to hit it back for more damage than they were expecting


In the middle of the board, Toni and the Mages turned all the puppets into so much scrap. I desperately tried to tie them up long enough that I could have some Claim Markers down to keep scoring.


In the end, while it was close, I couldn't quite get enough markers down with the brutal kicking I was receiving and the number of models I'd lost. Still, a 7-8 loss was pretty respectable and close, and I'd been pulling a lot of tricks to score points.

The Showdown events are amazing events, and if you are a Malifaux player, you should absolutely go. The next one, Summer Showdown, will be inferior to the Spring one for the sole reason that it clashes with a LARP and I won't be able to be there. Other than that, expect three awesome games of Malifaux with lovely people. It's on 30 July, and you can get tickets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment