Last Saturday was Bootleg BOYL - an event put on by War Dollies Collective and Lead and Steel after Bring Out Your Lead at Foundry was unfortunately cancelled. Due to the unusual circumstances, they were able to arrange a few vendors in addition to the usual games.
I rocked up early to help with set up. The tables at the venue need a little work to assemble each time, and it's a much quicker and easier job to achieve with more pairs of hands. The venue was split over two floors, with vendors and the café on the ground floor, and the games on the first floor.
There were plenty of different games going on. There was a game of 3rd edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles with two huge armies of period figures with lovely paint jobs. I sadly didn't manage to watch any of the actual play of this.
Someone had brought the old "Battle for Armageddon" board game and played a game of it. I have memories of reading about this in White Dwarf, but never actually managed to play it.
Someone had set up a participation game of Rogue Trader, replaying an old White Dwarf scenario. I played in this game, and may write more on it later.
On the next table over from the Rogue Trader game, Bobbi from Arbitor Ian's "Tale of Four Gamers" and a friend played a game of 2nd edition Warhammer 40,000. It was an Imperial Guard vs Imperial Guard game which definitely hit me right in the nostalgia as this was the edition of Warhammer 40,000 I started with.
Curtis from Ramshackle Games was running his Helsreach game, which is a homebrew conversion of earlier editions of Necromunda. I definitely want to play in this game in the future, but need to come up with some miniatures for it.
One of the most modern games being played was a game of Pulp Alley. I didn't see much of what was going on with it, but folks seemed to be having fun.
And finally, there was a four player game of Blood Bowl going on.
I picked up the Bootleg Boyle, the show miniature as I turned up early enough. He's a Ramshackle Games casting, with the sculpt supplied by Jon Boyce. MEP Miniatures were also giving away some free heads, and I do like free things.
Also trading at Bootleg BOYL was Satyr Art Studio. I've sometimes picked up their limited run sculpts, but have held off on ordering their "day to day" range because of the challenges of shipping from the US. But with Drew present, I grabbed a blister of assorted heroic types for running RPGs with.
Slightly different from the usual miniature traders, Side Quest Comics were trading at the event as well. I picked up all three comics available. As well as being comics, you can use the little card pieces that come with them to play a sort of mini RPG dice game to see if you survive the fights portrayed in the game. The comics themselves are mostly wordless pen ink comics showing events in the world of Def, with a short text epilogue that puts them into context.
It was a big day out, and I was due to be up early the following day to go to PeachCon. I ended up having a very early night, which meant I was merely tired at PeachCon the following day. It was a great day out, but I do need to remember how tiring these sort of events can be and pace myself accordingly.












No comments:
Post a Comment