Monday, 24 August 2026

Infinity Battle Report: Uplink Centre, Combined Army vs Shock Army

 
A few players in the Midlands have decided to try and organise a regular Infinity game day at the Dice Cup in Nottingham. We're running on the first Sunday of the month, and our first attempt at this was back at the start of August. If you're local, please get in touch via the UK Infinity Discord, or let me know you'd like to show up and I'll get you in touch with people.


I brought along a first pass at a vanilla Combined Army list, while my opponent brought his Shock Army of Acontecimento. For a mission, we were running Crossing Lines. This mission has an unusual set up, in that you have a second deployment zone - a narrow strip of the board next to the centre line on your opponent's half of the table - meaning that they will also be deploying troops in your table half!


The big experiment for me was trying out the Vector Operator sniper, which I have heard good things about. I haven't assembled my Vector model yet, so the out of production Skiavoros was serving in its stead. Sadly, on its very first order of the game it rolled badly, took a couple of hits and died immediately. Bother.


My opponent, meanwhile, was running a Tikbalang, which did a very good job of whittling down pieces I hadn't been able to deploy defensively enough. I certainly caused a lot of problems, but took more casualties than I'd want on a first turn.


In particular, I lost a lot of the pieces I'd deployed in the centre, meaning I had to scrabble to get models into position to make sure I could score.


My Anathematic managed to neutralise Scylla, giving me hacking supremacy for the rest of the game. Unfortunately, the strong firepower my opponent still had was able to move defensively to keep the Anathematic at arm's length, as my order pool was slowly depleted.


A well timed Akali Commando proceeded to roll up my right flank, and cleared several order generating pieces on the flank furthest from the Anathematic.


In the end my opponent was able to leave me without enough models to swing back effectively, keeping the high scoring pieces well away from the Anathematic. The score ended up around 7-2 to the Shock Army from memory.

All in all, I felt like I learned a lot from the game. The Anathematic was a monster and rightly terrifying, but the Vector needed to use smoke more often and be very cagey about its shooting to compensate for its incredible fragility. Beyond that, I probably deployed too aggressively for Crossing Lines and need to think a bit more about the sort of units that should go in the central deployment zone. I'm already drafting updated lists for the next Infinity game day.

No comments:

Post a Comment