Thursday 18 January 2024

Runewars Undead Command

 
An undead command box from Runewars I picked up cheap after the game folded is my latest commission with Brushchewer. I got them for RPGs such as D&D and Pathfinder, and while they were sold as undead / ghouls, I thought it would be good to paint them up so they could be some sort of living mutants as well.


The "standard bearer" is an aggressive looking wrong-un with flags bound onto his back, and armed with a particularly brutal looking sickle. I quite like the idea of giving him a mechanic around the flags. Maybe he boosts morale? Perhaps he can signal for reinforcements? This is definitely a model that prompts the idea of adding some mechanics based on the look of the model.


This shouty boy with inflated air sacs is the "musician", and is . . . screaming out . . . for some kind of sonic or sound based attack. It's a nice weird little attack that I'd probably put as a short ranged cone of damage. These sort of variants can give players some interesting decisions about which special power is the one they want to focus on getting rid of quickest.


The wizard is classic "evil necromancer / lich" vibes, or a viable ghoul queen or leader of a wasteland gang of mutants. She's got strong villain leader energy.


Finally, we have this champion type with a Very Large Arm. He's the model who made me think of using them as mutants rather than undead. The big arm is crying out for some big strong physical attacks. Does it get a single high damage hit, or does it swing around and hit everyone close to it? I wouldn't want to change its mechanics within the same campaign, but if I were using it for different things, I'd take different abilities.

So I'm pretty pleased with these four. They could suit well in a Pathfinder Mana Wastes or Darklands campaign, in particular.

2 comments:

  1. yep. I'd buy all of that as a player, nice choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that homebrew stuff should be pretty obvious - a muscled miniature is strong, and so on... Glad it landed in this case!

      Delete