Thursday 8 August 2024

Purest Nostalgia

 
One of the first places I came across wargaming miniatures was "Toy Town" in Leamington Spa, a much missed large independent toy store that had a wide range of wargaming figures tucked away in one corner. I "wasn't old enough" for the miniatures, but I would spend entire shopping visits reading the unit backgrounds and stats of the miniatures, day dreaming about what it all meant in the days before I owned the rules.

So when I saw that Prince Ulther's Dragon Company was going up on "Made to Order", and they had specific mercenary rules for Warhammer: The Old World, I simply couldn't resist. A quick google search tells me that folk who understand the game think that they're uncompetitive, overequipped and not much actual use - but I suspect that's what most of the old named units were back then as well...


The blisters (which don't photo well) come with a little leaflet with their rules, and the command blister comes with a paper sheet with a cut out flag on. The idea of cutting that out absolutely terrifies me... There's a non zero chance I may scan and print it at a high resolution so I can make a mistake and not destroy it.


There's four command figures, which came as a set - Prince Ulther, a Champion, Standard Bearer and Musician. They come with solid plastic shields, while the originals had tabs that became the shield boss, so they'll need filing down if you want to use the shields they come with.

In Warhammer: The Old World, they also go on 25mm bases rather than 20mm bases, so if you're buying them for older editions you'll want to find your own bases, too.


The line troops come as a set of five, with three different sculpts. These nearly-monopose single piece metal troopers are one of my "missed nostalgias" - I only got into playing from 4th edition, so didn't end up with many of this era of troops. I have such a happy vibe from these miniatures turning up. They're not for everyone, but they've really brought me joy this week.

If this is your jam and you're flush with cash, these are still available from the Warhammer online store until 8am, Monday 12 August. I ordered these early on so got some of the sets they'd already cast up. You'll get yours within six months, so it won't be quite such immediate gratification. They are a teensy bit pricey, and if you're willing to hunt around you may be able to find originals cheaper, but I was willing to pay for the convenience, and they are making me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment