Cameras once more prove to be the devil. Weeknights this week, I've been painting this delightful chap!
I started off with some brown and bone basecoats for the robe and hood. The brown is Steel Legion Drab.
Then we add sepia and orange washes over the top, painting other bits as we go.
Unfortunately, I was really happy with him on Thursday, and really not happy today. The first thing is that his face on the left, at the point of a basecoat and wash, just looks better than the one of the right, when all the extra layering has been done.
Why is that? Well, on the left, it's a Rakarth Flesh base with a Reikland Fleshshade wash. The contrast is significant. On the right, I've layered with Cadian Fleshtone, but that's actually reduced the contrast, leaving it flat and with less definition.
There are other things making me sad.
I've missed a section of the base under the robe.
There was a lump of something right on the face and while I tried to make it look like an angry sore, it just hasn't worked and looks wrong.
Rubbish overpaint from the hand onto the club.
And this bit is just sloppy and messy and needs a cleaner job.
And here's a horrible mould line. Doubly frustrating because I'm using a basecoat with lots of washes over the top which is really hard to repaint to match and blend in.
Back here, of course, he still looks pretty awesome. But the flaws are bugging me, and I want to fix them. It's particularly disheartening as I had mentally seen him as "done" and now there's a bunch more work to be done on him.
Part of it is probably that I had a really nice social weekend, which has left me rather tired and in a natural "down" after the up. That doesn't help, and I've had a bit of frustration at my failure to progress thing.
I think for my "week night" painting, I'm going to do something else that's more base coating and simple stuff, and leave details to the weekend when I'm less tired and can focus on them more.