Sunday 1 July 2018

Infinity Tournament: essexdave is getting married!


With the weather lovely, we heard the news that essexdave, the player who organises the Infinity tournaments at Wayland Games, is getting married. In order to celebrate this, he organised an Infinity tournament...

We were playing 300 points, with the modifiers "Limited Insertion" (keeping us to one combat group) and "Soldiers of Fortune" allowing us to taken mercenaries. I am continuing with my plan of running Corregidor - running one list with a Mobile Brigada link and Avicenna, and a second for Transmission Matrix, with a weird smorgasboard of bits and pieces, including McMurrough, Senor Massacre and Avicenna.


My first game, Firefight, was against aphexblue, who was playing the Shock Army of Acontecimento. He tried to pin me down with a Bagh-Mari fireteam and a TAG, but by a bit of aggressive play and some lucky crits, I got them neutralised. A Naga hacker in the midfield on a roof caused me some woe, but I managed to pin it down with Crazy Koalas, leaving the Brigadas able to run and get an extra panoply. A last ditch effort by Stephen Rao to take the link out was stopped short with a crit, leaving me winning 5-0.


Next up was the terrifying Bobman in Transmission Matrix. He was running the new Tunguska, with bikes that transform into robots, brutal hacking and general woe. Senor Massacre was given the job of taking out the Designated Target, and then failed multiple orders to try and land Eclipse smoke in the right place, then on his last order made it into hand to hand only to have the target crit it's dodge.

It went downhill from there. Bobman would feed units into the central objective to score the points each turn, and while I'd shoot them down in my turn, he'd just replenish them, scoring him an 8-2 win as we ran out of turns before he ran out of models!


And finally, it was Frontline, where NiceGuyRosen demonstrated that getting into a straight firefight with a full Hospitaller link with Joan is not going to go well... The game ended with me having nothing on the table, and he picked up a solid 7-1 win.

As always, the games at Wayland were excellent. The heat was a bit much, but we soldiered through. I was joined by three other members of HATE who were good company on the train there and back. I'll definitely be along again when the tournaments start up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment