Monday 5 August 2019

A bit of assembly


With an operative hobby space once more and a free weekend, it was time to get some hobby going. The first job was unpacking and sorting the large package of models for "Dahshat Company" for Infinity.


All of these models had transported fine without any problems. Although I was a ham fisted clutz and managed to break one of them trying to put it away.


Meanwhile, here are all of the repairs. I also found a mini I'd forgotten to paint the fire arc marker on months ago, so quickly got that fixed while I was at it.


Some of the fixes, mostly on newer models, were nice and easy. Some of the older ones, however, were an absolute pain and I spent a good hour or two swearing and letting super glue dry before scraping it off and starting again.


It is, of course, my cursed luck that the model I broke (the Rui Shi) was satan's own challenge to put back together. I ended up leaving it overnight and fixed it Sunday morning. I was very glad when I got it right second time. Sometimes walking away and leaving it is the best option.

All told, there's only two things that need pinning now - both older remotes. I haven't been able to find my pinning set in the unpacking yet, so they'll have to wait a little while.


I am a great believer in having fun little quick painting projects to do in between your big projects, so as a break from Infinity, I thought I'd quickly clean up the mould lines and base a few Reaper 25 anniversary figures I'd picked up for just that purpose.

This model is Elanter, the Lost Prince. His spear tip needed a little careful bending back into shape. I ended up using the flat of my scalpel blade as something to press against and make sure it actually ended up flat.


Here's Darius the Blue. All these miniatures came with cast in bases, so I glued them to some round bases and used my favourite basing solution. This is using Vallejo Coarse Pumice first to build up shape and texture, then Vallejo Sandy Paste to add variation and finer grains where needed.


Trista the Loremistress was the third blister assembled. The previous two wouldn't fit on a 25mm so I used 32mm bases there, but for Trista, a traditional 25mm was sufficient.


I hadn't really realised what Hecklemeyer and Styx were when I picked them up. Or maybe I forgot? Anyway, I am beyond delighted to have an undead jester puppeteering a tiny magical wooden puppet. They're the two I'm most looking forward to painting, so I'll likely leave them until last, or if I'm having a particularly bad day and need cheering up.

So, no paint applied so far, but we're back underway and getting models prepared and ready for paint! How was your hobby weekend?

8 comments:

  1. ...god, yeah. I remember Infinty being awful from the first time around. I managed to drop a model and (almost) lose an arm spraypainting in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new models are much, much better in general. But not everything is up to the new standard yet so sometimes you need an old model that's good and that's when the swearing starts...

      Delete
  2. Very cool. I like the pink/purple look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It was a nice simple, easy to replicate scheme for a tabletop standard commission force. It's served me pretty well and I'm rather fond of it.

      Delete
  3. I hope their 'Dah shite' in the games ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are currently one of the "new hotness" options in Infinity.

      Background wise, it's a private security arm of a massive corporation owned by an Uighar Muslim, so pulls models from both the Chinese and Islamic factions in the game, along with a bunch of mercenaries.

      I have landed on something I like both the playstyle and the background of, so I'm super happy.

      Delete
  4. 'Hobby weekend' ?!?! ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, it was a rest weekend that happened to have some hobby in it. ;)

      Delete