Monday 31 August 2020

An idle idol


I finished up this Pterro-Sphinx by Forge of Ice Miniatures. It's sold in the UK by Fenris Games. It's a nice two part resin piece that really takes weathering well.

 
I wanted to play around with some of the new Games Workshop paints, so base coated the statue in Runelord Brass. I then washed it in Cryptek Armourshade Gloss. While I quite like how this turned out in the smaller recesses, I didn't really like how it looked in some of the larger areas. I then gave it a drybrush of Canoptek Alloy. It was a bit too silvery for my liking. I think if I was doing it again I'd have used this as a super light finishing drybrush over a colour that was more bronze. I then mucked about with Nihilak Oxide to add weathering and cover up the bits I found too glossy.

For the plinth, I based in Lupercal Green, followed by a drybrush of Sons of Horus Green. I then muddied it up with plenty of Typhus Corrosion, which is one of my favourite things. I then felt that there wasn't enough dark to light contrast on the plinth so added an extra drybrush of Hellion Green to the relief and some of the corners which made me a lot happier with it.

I hope you like it. Do take the time to check out Fenris' store and maybe pick something up. They've just finished a big business move, which has not been great given all the World Situation as well. They're back up and casting now, catching up with orders, so now's a great time to show support and pick up a few things you fancy.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like something out of an H.P. Lovecraft story. If you start having strange dreams about a vast, Cyclopean city under the sea then you should get rid of it. I'll take it off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more vast cities under the sea than usual. And it did call out for a nice weathered, mysterious ruin look.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful verdigris on that metal. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's /technically/ not quite right, but it was a good experiment and I'm getting better at working out where to place it to get the right effect I want.

      Delete
  3. Great work! The weathering and look really suit the piece.

    ReplyDelete