Monday 15 April 2019

Salute: Ill Gotten Gains


While I recover from attending the Firestorm Satellite Tournament (I'm aiming to get a write up of it done for you next week) here's the summary of all the bits and pieces I picked up from Salute last weekend.

First up was the rulebook for the 54mm Skirmish game "Briskars". We fell in love with the miniatures for this pirate game and picked up an English copy of the rules. Once the painting room is unpacked we'll pick up a few models each and engage in some nonsense with it. If you're interested, they have an online shop and Facebook group.


I picked up this clear resin pond from Wargames Terrain Workshop. The idea is you paint the underside to give an impression of depth, paint the edge and gloss coat the water. It's an interesting concept and I thought it was worth a few quid to give it a go.


As always, there was a free Salute dice.


To save postage, I picked up by "Deep Ones of the Powell Darks" Kickstarter pledge from Oakbound at the show.


I picked up a few bits and bobs from Bad Squiddo Games, too. As I'm not interested in historicals, I've kind of, erm, bought most of their range that is fantasy or sci fi...


My goodie bag from Salute included an extra model this year - a Necromancer for a new game, Starcide. This seems to be for a new game by Archon Studios, who've had a bit of a chequered history as "Prodos Games" and had some problems with the Warzone license. They're going to have to do a lot of work to convince people after the problems with Warzone, the AvP Kickstarter and the horridly sexist nonsense they put out under the name "Space Crusade". I'll probably paint this figure, but I'm not really confident giving any money to them.


The Salute free figure this year was a post apocalyptic lady with a weird reptile creature. Maybe this year I'll manage to get it painted up in time for next year's painting competition?


Simple Miniature Games had a bunch of shop damaged stock to clear, so I grabbed a couple of bits I can use in Qapu Khalqi and Dahshat, depending on what I decide to do.


At the same time, I grabbed a few bits of Malifaux ahead of the release of their 3rd edition, but they weren't as discounted as I thought so I'm having a bit of buyer's regret on these. There was no real urgent need for them and I have enough stuff in my house already.


Creature Caster was over for Salute for the first time, and as well as their big monsters, they had an assortment of paints and brushes. I picked up a few of their paints to try out and see if I like them.

All in all, it was a bit of weird Salute for me. With some buyer's regret, trying to minimise purchases so I can focus on what I already have and a bit of a disconnected feeling, I'm not sure how it went. It was good to catch up with various people, but it felt a bit like a missed opportunity for me. I wanted to get some more demo games in but never quite managed to find the time. I'm still pondering it all now, and may be for a while.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a lot less than previous years and probably still more than I'll get around to painting! Which is why I really do need to cut back on the purchases a bit. :)

      Delete
  2. I love that Desperate Mercenary model - I picked one up a few years ago in a "eventually my WFRP Character will be this cool" mindset

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were inconveniently utterly terrible last edition, and I am reliably informed in the new edition they will be worth taking. And I've loved the model since 2nd edition came out. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Time will tell if I paint more of it than last year's...

      Delete
  4. Nice haul! Hope you have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete