Thursday 30 January 2020

Dark Sphere Malifaux Slow Grow League Round 1: Mercenary vs Foundry


I've been putting together a Mercenary Outcast crew for Malifaux 3rd edition for a bit now. When the local Henchman announced a short six week slow grow league, I was definitely in. Conveniently, I even had just enough models already assembled.

For the first round we designed a crew as if for "Henchman Hardcore" which requires you to have only 4 models at 30 soul stones. (Soul stones are the points for buying models and the leftover points become an in game resource.) There is usually a standard mission set for Henchman Hardcore but the league organiser wrote an alternative format as well, and we flipped a card to see which we got.

As it was, we got the standard rules, so we deployed in a wedge shaped deployment zone. We could score up to 4 victory points by placing explosives in the opponent's deployment zone, up to 2 for injuring then assassinating the opponent's leader, and up to 2 for fulfilling a vendetta between a model we selected and a model on the opposing crew who wasn't the leader and was worth more points than yours.


My crew was led by Taelor, and with the rest of the crew being Bishop, Johanna and the Student of Conflict. I was up against Kang, the Metal Golem, a Rail Worker and a Metal Gamin. I set Bishop as having a Vendetta against the Metal Golem, and started off.

Johanna is notoriously slow, so I used Student of Conflict to grant her fast, then had Bishop push her further up the field with Chain Gang before having her charge into the Rail Worker and punch it back  further into the Foundry deployment zone.


Bishop then ran over and punched out the Metal Gamin, with me hoping to charge into the Golem the following round.


The Metal Golem then used Rail Walk to jump to another scrap marker to get further away from Bishop and place a bomb.


As the Student of Conflict has Armour Piercing, I had her charge in and stab up the Golem, although her low attack and it's high defence meant a few attacks bounced off. Meanwhile, Taelor and Kang got into a scrap, and it turned out Taelor's hammer (and my cards) were better than Kang's hammer (and cards) . . . picking me up a couple of points over a couple of turns.

Meanwhile, I was able to get some bombs down in various parts of the table to keep scoring Plant Explosives.


Bishop then charged in, pulling the Student out of the way and landing enough of a blow to score the first point of Vendetta.


With the Rail Worker turned to mush by Johanna and more bombs down, I was up to maximum points on Plant Explosives and the Metal Golem made a break for it with a final rail walk, getting another bomb down for a second point for Foundry.


But Bishop and Taelor were able to charge in and finally take him down, scoring the final Vendetta point, leaving the total score at the end of the game 8-2.

Huge thanks to my opponent, who was very gracious, particularly at an obscene run of luck on my part, with several card duels won by a single point as I drew a lucky card. My first impressions of Malifaux 3rd edition are very positive, with plenty of thinking to do and lots of interesting interactions between models like the tricks I used to catapult the normally slow Johanna up the board. I'm definitely looking forward to getting more games in.

No comments:

Post a Comment