Monday 1 February 2016

Malifaux Battle Report: Collodi vs Ten Thunders Lynch

 With a "starter tournament" due at Wayland Games, I decided to head down to my local store to get a practice game in so I'd played more than one game of Malifaux before the tournament...


I was playing Collodi, because that's the Master I own and have painted and assembled. For a strategy, we drew "Squatters Rights" (claim two of five objectives) and from the available schemes I chose "Protect Territory" and "Line in the Sand" (place a bunch of markers all over the place).


 Crew wise, I was running with a Mysterious Emissary, a Teddy, and a Changeling on top of Collodi and his Marionettes. This was mostly to learn the rules of these things before I played them at the tournament!

I was facing Jacob Lynch working for Ten Thunders, with a Beckoner, a couple of Illuminated, Mr Graves and the Crossroads Seven member known as Lust.


I started off by running the Mysterious Emissary up the flank to drop a Hungry Land marker into the Ten Thunders lines so their advance would be disrupted.


Ah. It turns out Lust and the Beckoner are both masters of movement shenanigans, and the Mysterious Emissary is  dragged out into the open...


And then the Hungering Darkness potters over to have a polite word...


 I'm trying to run models up as quickly as possible to get someone in place to heal the Emissary before it's too late...


 ... but it's too late!


Teddy claims a Claim marker to start trying to get to the point of scoring...


The Changeling tries to do something super clever involving teleporting and stealing Teddy's attack to take out the Illuminated, but it doesn't go so well...


I do manage to grab two Claimer markers to grab some points, but it's looking like I'm in trouble...



Teddy goes down to Mr Graves, leaving only a bunch of doll parts.


Things move around, trying to get some control back with both of my heavy hitters down.


The Changeling copies Mr Graves ability to throw people around to smack the Beckoner miles away from everyone else, and the Hungering Darkness is brought down...


But it's immortal at the moment, and with the dead of one of my Brilliance infected puppets, he's back at full pelt.


More and more models turn to scrap, and soon it's all over!

Some hindsight

I was in trouble in this one from the beginning - my opponent's crew had an excellent movement shenanigans based list (Graves, Lust and the Beckoner all throwing people around), while mine was relatively straightforward. I left things a bit piecemeal and was picked apart by the more mobile crew. The Emissary should not have been so bold early on - it allowed an entire crew to focus on it unbothered while I was in early moves with the rest of the crew. I probably should have committed more to one side and stuck with that.

Still, lessons are learned, and on to the tournament!

No comments:

Post a Comment