Monday 7 March 2022

Delightful Angry Death Chicken - Otherworld Cockatrice

 
This week I dug out the half finished Otherworld Miniatures Cockatrice I had lying around and finished up the paint job on it. I have the old sculpt, it seems - there's a new one on their shop now.

The Cockatrice is a fun little monster in D&D. With low damage, but a chance of turning someone to stone temporarily, it can make players disproportionately worried about being petrified compared to the risk it actually presents.


I realised on Friday that I was day dreaming about "getting hobby done" this weekend with some very unrealistic expectations. In my head, I'd get what I typically finish in a month sorted by Saturday evening and be picking up something new. I knocked that daft thought on the head and focussed in on getting some things finished off. I've also repaired a couple of Deathwatch who got damaged in the post, so you'll see photos of them soon enough. I'm down to 30 base rims to fix up, and that can easily be a light evening job when I'm tired as it needs less precision than normal painting.


While I was waiting for various paint to dry on the Cockatrice, I started blocking in the colours on my Dwarf Berserker from the now defunct small manufacturer "The Miniatures Apprentice". He's definitely someone's learning sculpt, but he's fun to paint in his lumpy, low detail way. I'm protectively fond of him. The idea is that now, as I finish him up, tidy up any overpaint and finish the base, I can be dropping some colours down on the next model on the list.

I've put away a lot of stuff - having tons of stuff out that needed moving around was stressing me out. I also found I was spending ages deciding what to do next. My "On the Desk" page tries to get around this by lining up the next couple of things to do - choosing from two things is much less mental load than from twenty or thirty.

I then end up daydreaming about what to swap into an empty slot once I paint or assemble something, and add whatever is appealing at the point I finish something. It seems to be working better, but I'll see how that goes over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment