Monday 7 November 2022

EIC Revival Tournament Report - Day 1

 
The weekend before last I was away at the EIC Revival, an Infinity tournament in Mallorca. It was a Satellite tournament, but much smaller than previous years. Once again held in an all inclusive hotel in the off season. The weather was still lovely, with a nearby beach and a swimming pool. I unfortunately didn't manage to take advantage of either after falling asleep when I'd been intending to. I'm having old people problems, and I don't think I like it!


For the first game, Frontline, I was up against Vito who had brought Onyx Contact Force. I pushed up early while Vito played quite defensively. His Plasma Sniper kept things pinned down, while his Sphinx ran around killing things. Unfortunately, on his third turn, he over-extended his Sphinx to the point where my Varangian could put down smoke, and Shona Carano could run over and cut it in half with her ridiculous close combat.


So, with a 6-2 win, I was sitting sixth out of twenty players. I . . . did not expect to stay here long, but did screenshot the standings on my phone for posterity.


I was now up against LokenHorus who was running Bakunin, with the mission of Countermeasures. I dropped my Tiger Soldier too close to a moderator, who dodged into close combat with him, leaving him pinned down and unable to really contribute further. I found out after the game that the Moderator was the force's Lieutenant, and taking her out would have caused massive disruption.


One of my Kaplans managed to get far enough up to lay D Charges for Sabotage, and later on the ORC Feuerbach managed to punch out a Pupnik for the second close combat kill to score a second classified. But the Riot Grrl Missile Launcher kept me pinned down while all my models died, and LokenHorus was able to get three objective for the win before I fell into retreat and the game ended.


The third game was on a relatively open "mesa" style table against vdevendetta's Steel Phalanx. This is a pretty brief third report, as I lost 9-1 with me only having 18 points left alive at the end of the game.


I simply didn't have the tools to take out Phoenix on an open table, and insufficient orders to have enough smoke to cross the whole table to destroy a server. I barely crossed the centre line, and everything died trying.

So, I ended the first day with a win and two losses. Ideally, I was aiming for three wins over the two day event, and it was technically still possible! But I was revising my expectations to "try and win one game tomorrow"...

No comments:

Post a Comment